With baking ingredients currently in short supply, This bake without yeast is the answer we have been personally making. All you need is four store cupboard ingredients.
All ingredients used in this recipe are available to purchase from the Fodder Farm Shop
- Heat the oven to 190°C Fan (210C (regular) / 375°F / GM 6. Place a baking stone or heavy baking sheet in the oven to heat.
- Mix the dry ingredients. Stir in the milk, and bring the dough together by stirring the ingredients until the milk is mixed with with flour and forms a dough. It’s easiest to do this with your hands rather than a wooden spoon.
- Turn the dough out onto your work surface and knead briefly until the dough has a uniform consistency.
- Shape the dough into a round disc about an inch to an inch and a half (about 3cm) thick and deeply score the top with an X. This is important! Don’t make a round ball of dough as it won’t cook in the middle.
- Bake on the hot stone or baking sheet at for about 35 minutes until pale brown and sounding hollow when tapped on the bottom.
Important! We cannot stress enough that the dough needs to be a flat pancake – not more than 1.5″ (3cm) deep when it goes into the oven, or it will not cook properly in the middle.
If you don’t have milk you can make some up with powdered milk, mix up yogurt and water, or use water with a spoon of oil or melted butter or spread.