Another great recipe from our chef Cicero, following the popular soup recipe, Cicero has shared his Yorkshire Blue and Vegetable Pie. This super easy pie is packed full of flavour.
To make the pastry
Crumb the butter and flour together
Add the salt and eggs
Mix together and slowly add the water
Rest in the fridge for 30 mins
Roll out the pastry onto a floured surface
1. Pre heat oven to 200°c (180°c fan) / gas mark 6.
2. Put the onions, rainbow carrots, sweet potatoes, green pepper, fennel and
garlic in a large roasting tray. Scatter the cumin seeds, ground cumin,
thyme leaves, salt and pepper on top and drizzle with olive oil then toss to coat.
3. Roast in the oven for approx 50 minutes, or until soft, golden and cooked through.
4. Make the cheese sauce.
5. Pour the cheese sauce over the cooked vegetables, add the peas and gently mix.
6. Transfer the filling to a pie dish.
7. Cover the pie with the pastry. Crimp the edges make a few cuts into the surface
of the pastry. Brush with beaten egg.
8. Place in a preheated oven 200°c (180°c fan) / gas mark 6 and bake for 20-30 minutes,
until the pastry is golden brown.
9. Remove from oven, allow to rest before serving.
Method for the cheese sauce
• Melt the butter in a saucepan then whisk in the flour to make a Roux.
• Pour in milk and cream and whisk until smooth.
• Reduce heat and allow to cook until the sauce is thick and smooth.
• Add the Yorkshire Blue, mustard, nutmeg, bay leaves, white wine, salt and pepper.
• Bring it to the boil and simmer gently for five-minute stirring continuously.
All ingredients used in this recipe are available to purchase from the Fodder Farm Shop