The perfect Autumnal dish, creamy chicken and delicious pumpkin. Simply make the day before then pop in the oven when your guests arrive for hassle free dining on cold Autumn days.
Recipe from BBC Good Food Magazine October 2004. Photo Credit BBC Good Food.
1. Soak porcini mushrooms in 300ml hot water for 30 mins. Skin the chicken and rub the cut side of the lemon over the pieces. Heat the oil in a pan large enough to hold the chicken in one layer. Add chicken and brown on both sides. Transfer to a casserole dish.
2. Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Melt the butter in a medium pan. When it stops foaming, add onion and 1 tsp salt, then sauté until pale gold.
3. Meanwhile, remove the porcini from the water and rinse well. Pat dry and chop into small pieces. Strain the water through a sieve, stopping before the last spoonful.
4. Add the porcini and pumpkin pieces to the onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Add fresh chestnut mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes more, stirring frequently. Stir in the double cream, 4-5 tbsp of the porcini water and season if you wish. Simmer uncovered for 10-12 minutes until reduced slightly, then pour over the chicken.
5. Cover and cook in the oven for 30-40 minutes, turning the chicken once or twice and adding a few spoonfuls of water if the sauce becomes a little dry.
6. Serve with crusty bread and fresh seasonal vegetables.
All ingredients used in this recipe are available to purchase from the Fodder farm shop