This is one of our favourite ways of celebrating our apples, slathered in a rich sticky salted caramel sauce, encased in a crisp buttery pastry. This may take a little longer to create because you are making everything from scratch, but believe us, it’s worth the wait for the smell alone!
- Start by making your pastry. Slice your cold butter into very small pieces, and place into a bowl. Pop into the fridge to harden. ( Or if you work quickly just leave to the side.)
- Add the strong white flour, caster sugar and salt into a mixing bowl and whisk to evenly combine. Add the butter and vanilla at this point, and using your finger tips, rub the butter and flour together gently to create large shaggy pieces. You want to have pea sized bits of butter left. Add half of the water, and mix in quickly to form your dough.
- Place onto a lightly floured worktop, and form the dough into a circle. Wrap in cling film, and pop into the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- To make your salted caramel sauce, add your sugar into a heavy bottomed pot. Turn the heat onto medium, and every 20 seconds, give the pot a swirl. You do not want to agitate the sugar as it will crystallize. Do this until you cannot see any sugar granes left. Turn the heat to high, continuously swirling until the sugar has turned a golden brown.
- Turn off the heat, (and at this point be very careful as this will spit and foam) add your butter. Using a wooden spoon, stir continuously until you have a lovely glossy sauce. Add the salt and cream at this point and stir. Turn on the heat and warm it through slightly. ( 5 minutes on a low heat.) Turn off and allow to cool.
- Preheat your oven to 200C/180 Fan.
- If you personally like the texture of skin on apples in pies, keep them on, if not peel them at this point. Chop into wedges, add to a mixing bowl along with 1/3 of the salted caramel sauce, zest and juice of the lemon and orange. Gently toss around, then add the cornflour and allspice/cinnamon powder.
- Dust your work surface again, and unwrap your dough- leaving around 1/3 for the lattice if you wish to do one.
- Roll out to around 3mm, and place into a buttered pie dish leaving a slight overhang. Add your salted caramel apples. Roll out the remaining dough and assemble your lattice or just roll out a top layer.
- Brush with an egg yolk and sprinkle demerara sugar over for a deliciously crunchy top. Bake for 1 hour/ 1 Hour 10 minutes- until a rich golden brown. Serve warm with an extra drizzle of your salted caramel sauce and a scoop of Just Jenny’s ice cream.
All ingredients used in this recipe are available to purchase from Fodder Farm Shop