Another great classic, perfect your baking skills with this succulent steak and kidney pie.
All our beef is supplied fresh from the Cowling Farm. Serve with mash and some seasonal vegetables.
To make the pastry
Sieve the flour, baking powder
and salt together in a bowl.
Add the suet and mix well.
Mix to a stiff dough with the water.
Roll out the pastry onto a floured
surface and use straight away.
1. Preheat oven to 220°c (200°c fan) / gas mark 7.
2. Heat oil in a pan and brown the beef, then put aside.
3. Add the kidneys to the same pan, along with the diced carrots and onions and cook for 4/5mins.
4. Add the beef back into the pan, sprinkle over the flour and coat the meat and vegetables.
5. Add the beef stock to the pan and mix then allow to simmer for 1-2 hours. (if it reduces too much add more stock).
6. Whilst the pie filling cooks, make the pastry.
7. Once the pie filling is cooked, add salt, pepper and Henderson’s relish to taste.
8. Roll out the pastry to about 0.5cm thickness and cover pie dish and crimp the edges.
9. Brush with egg yolk and place in oven for 30/40mins until golden brown.
10. Served with mash potatoes and seasonal vegetables.
All ingredients used in this recipe are available to purchase from the Fodder Farm Shop